At the new enrollment of Berklee College of Music Derek Sivers gave a speech which outlines his "6 things I wish I knew the day I started Berklee". Whilst this is obviously aimed at Berklee students he actually gives some very good pointers that can be applied to all students generally.
1. Focus. Disconnect. Do not be distracted
2. Do not accept their speed limit
3. Nobody will teach you anything. You have to teach yourslef
4. Learn from your heroes. Not only theirs
5. Don't get stuck in the past
6. When done, be valuable
The full transcript can be found here - http://sivers.org/berklee
There's also a youtube vid...